15.09.2023 Netherlands, the good parts

 I havent spent a lot of time in the Netherlands and I wasn't expecting much.

Yet it seems like the country has a lot to offer.

There is a certain architecture which persists in small towns similar to German which use this 'brick' design of the houses and buildings.

I started to follow Fietserpad, which is a famous cycling path going from north to south of the country. Seems a bit weird because almost everything in the Netherlands IS a cycling path :)

This route led me across several national parks which are forest areas and the route uses mostly paved roads or paths.

If you find yourself in one of these national parks it would be quite easy to wild camp and its very quiet, since the rest of the country is pretty much populated. 


Here is was quite rainy but I had a lot of sun in Netherlands as well.





A lot of windmills here but there were also present in Denmark a lot.


I ended up sleeping one night on one of those water facilities (like a small dam) very close to German border. It wa sa nice find, half an hour before sunset (and a nice sunsert it was!). 
The place ended up being very quiet with no residental houses few hundred meters in any direction.


Magical mornings


Bridge reflection



Mighty churches, this one didnt even fit into the picture.


Monument Mens Tegen Macht in Arnhem



About the Netherlands quite amazing cycling infrastructure, speaking to Tom ( my Warmshowers host in the town of Deventer ),  I said the infrastructure in Netherlands was almost too much ( you get confused sometimes with all the lanes) but after I left Netherlands, I see even bigger reason and thats the fact that if you get used to such infrastructure, when you go to any other country, it will feel like their infrastructure is seriously lacking, ( which is not) so better dont go to Netherlands at all :) 


A film night which I spent which my Warmshowers host Tom in the town of Deventer. 





Strangely , in supermarkets in the Netherlands you can find a lot of super quality peanut butter at very cheap prices ( which is not the case in most other countries in Europe) . As soon as I entered the first store in the Netherlands I immediately bought 1kg of super tasty peanut butter for 5 euro ( which is like Poland prices ).
Peanut butter was not lacking in the Netherlands :)



One thing I also liked vey much is bread with raisins which is also available in supermarkets. I would just eat it on its own with no need for other ingredients like a jam for example.




Here you can see examples of trash cans located along the cyclist paths ( yes, they look like basket in basketball ). 
As soon as I saw one it made me smile. The point is obvious, you should be able to throw garbage passing by on a bicycle. Of course most people dont do this neither I have.







A few pictures of the city of Ultrecht in the Netherlands through which I have passed.












Riding the Merwede Canal





No comments:

Post a Comment