18.09.2023 A free shelter in the Netherlands

 A free shelter in the Netherlands you say? Yes, it does exist:) 

After yesterday's half slept night in public park when the police woke me in half of the night, luckily after seeing my ID card, they wished me luck with my trip and I managed to get some sleep.
But I picked the spot completely wrong. Komoot brought me to shelter in that park but it ended up being only some kind of desk table with half a roof.

I did enjoy the evening on several available tables and first I wanted to sleep in the woods because this shelter would not protect me from the rain which was forecasted for the night and morning.
But everything was wet in the evening, all the grass and whenever there is supposed to be rain I always try to find a roof over my head, because there is nothing worse than having all your sleeping gear wet in the morning.

Before bed I somehow decided to cramp my tent under that table and hope maybe I manage to avoid most of the rain.

But in the morning water got partly underneath my tent and still managed to get most stuff wet so I would say pucking tjat spot wasy mistake ( especially considering police could and did see me from the parking lot).

If I stayed in the woods I would be wet pretty much the same but would probably avoid the police waking me up in the middle of the night. Not sure if they were walking around on foot or just saw me from the car.

Btw that desk under the roof reminds me of one night in Norway last year where I managed to find very nice place by the lake one evening, and it had similar type of shelter only partially covered by roof. As it was supposed to rain that night, after eating dinner I decided to sleep right on the table, which would almost protect me from the rain completely. So I didn't use tenr but placed the sleeping pad and sleeping bag directly on the table .

I did use a tarp as well to cover only one side since I knew the direction of the wind and this also helped to keep me completely dry that night.





Funny thing, the Norwegian bike tourer I traveled a bit in Norway ( but we didn't always stay together) saw me the next morning still sleeping on the table, and when I told him the story where I slept one night, he immediately replied: Oh, that was you, I have seen you!

Back to today's real shelter which I found accidentally. It was going to rain again, and it did rain several times during the day, I saw some shelter quite far away, I didn't believe in the morning I was going to reach it, but as the day progressed, and all the little things that happened that day, I slowly but surely kept going towards that shelter. 

Its called Griendwerkershut.






And I must say shelter is really nice, easily reachable, few minutes of grassy path after paved road ends. 

There is no drinking water but aside from that, shelter has it all.
Feels like a mountain shelter compared to all the shelters in Denmark and Finland.

Quite a nice day today, and although I havent slept that well last night, I felt good all day. I managed to find one of those recreational equipment in some local park ( there was also and fingerboard :) 
I also dried my sleeping gear while doing dome exercising.

The headwind today however was very strong, the strongest so far I have experienced in Netherlands. Therefore I decided not to go through Rotterdam and coastline bridges I initially planned because the wind tomorrow is also strong and coming from SW so it would kill me.

Today I also changed rear brake pads. These are now second new pads since the beginning of the trip. Less than last year to Norway which was very hilly.

As for the rear shifter, it's moving quite a bit, I think I will manage to add another zip tie higher up to keep it stable. I still have to check if this plastic that broke can be replaced ( somehow doubt it).
I bought nice sliced ready to eat vegetables today (onion and similar content), it was quite a big pack and on discount so I decided to go for it for change. I havent managed to eat it all for dinner how big it was.

The newly bought non sticking pan is working well so far. It is actually the same as my previous cooking set from Primus which lasted a really long time. 

I haven't been able to use my laptop for a few days now, but tomorrow I can work from this shelter in the morning. 

I only wish I bought yoghurt since I love oats and yoghurt in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment